Monday, November 26, 2018

Shine Like Stars

14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky.
  Phillipians 2: 14-15

I have always been completely awestruck by the night sky. We live far enough away from any large cities (or small towns, even!) that you can get a pretty good view of the stars on a cloudless night. I don’t often take the time to do this, but I could stand under a clear, star-filled sky for quite some time, just gazing at the heavens and enjoying their beauty.

One of the things that captivates me is something I used to teach my fifth graders in our science lessons on the solar system. It takes eight minutes for light from the sun to reach earth, which is a bit of delay, for sure, but the stars that we see at night are so much farther away. The light that we see in the night sky from these stars have a much longer delay. In fact, it is possible that we could see the light from a star tonight even though that star has “burned out” quite some time ago.

There is no doubt that the stars in the sky are brilliant lights to be able to be seen from so far away. They are beautiful. Even a little light from far, far away can make a difference in a dark sky.

Paul says in Phillipians 2: 14-15 that we should refuse to grumble or argue so that we can become blameless and pure and shine like stars in our world. So why is that so difficult to do? I find it most difficult to avoid grumbling and arguing at school. Maybe that’s because I spend so much time there! But I know my grumbling and arguing does not honor God, and if I’m honest, I also know that it is not helpful to myself or those around me, either.

I read a really insightful blog post this summer that was written for first-year teachers, but I thought it was applicable to everyone. It was written by Jennifer Gonzalez in August of 2013, and you can find it on the “cult of pedagogy” website: https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/marigolds/. In this post, Gonzalez encourages new teachers to find people in their schools who have a positive influence on them -- people who encourage, support, and energize others, and to avoid people who have a negative outlook and influence -- people who grumble and complain and make you feel discouraged, insecure, and overwhelmed.

This article made me realize that I have an impact on those around me, and I want to be a positive one! Teachers have one of the most difficult jobs, in my opinion. There is always so much to do, and there are so many sources of pressure making it feel unbearable, at times. It is so easy to grumble and complain and be negative. The environment cultivates that.

But that negativity is not good for anyone. My co-workers need encouragement. They need support. They need energy. They need understanding and empathy and someone to lean on.

My students need those things, too. They need a place where they can feel accepted and appreciated, where they are excited to come each day.

So how do I manage to do everything without grumbling or arguing? I want to. I know it’s the best way, but how do I manage that?

I do not do this perfectly, for sure. Many, many times I fail and negative thoughts and words come spewing out. But here are some things I find that help me.

Fill up on God’s word. I have to post reminders - scriptures that I know I need to focus on - around my house and classroom. I have to spend some time each day reading the Bible and actually meditating on it, allowing it to soak in and really process it.

Avoid situations where negativity breeds. If you know the pre-meeting or post-meeting conversations always turn to gripe sessions, then don’t go early or hang around after. Sometimes, it is a certain person or group that needs to be avoided. Don’t sit with them at lunch or during a meeting or seek them out after school. I can’t always avoid, but I try to reduce the exposure because it is definitely contagious.

Remember to be thankful. Whenever I catch myself griping about someone or something, I try to right then think or say at least two reasons I am grateful for that thing or that person. Not always easy, but when I can manage it, this practice helps turn my negative thoughts around.

Be part of a solution. If something is really a problem that needs to be fixed, then do what you can do to try to actively solve that problem. We can’t always fix it, but I believe that if we spent as much time trying to come up with a solution as we do complaining, we would have a lot less to complain about.

Be empathetic. I try to put myself in the other person’s shoes. I am much less likely to complain about a student’s behavior when I understand more about his/her life. So sometimes I have to ask more questions when I am tempted to grumble or argue. What’s causing this behavior or attitude? I have more patience and kindness and grace for others when I can see the situation from their perspective.

Get enough rest. I am very prone to negativity when I am tired. (And if I’m also hungry, best to just throw me a snack and run away!)

Find the right audience. When I really do need to discuss something negative (I process things verbally!), I try to find the right person to talk to about it. Someone who will steer me back to a positive outlook and help me deal with the situation in a way that doesn’t drag anyone else down.


Father God, we want to shine like stars in our world. We want to be positive influences on all those around us. But it isn’t easy. Help us to be sensitive to Your Holy Spirit so that we can recognize when we are grumbling and arguing. Help us to renew our minds and think more like You. And forgive us for all the times we have failed.

For Small Groups:
What other tips do you have for staying positive? Are there any particular situations or people that create negativity in your mind that we can pray about? How can we help each other be more positive?

No comments:

Post a Comment