Sunday, December 9, 2018

Giving Our Worship

11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Matthew 2:11

Christmas time at school can definitely be challenging -- especially on party day! But year after year I am always humbled by the gifts brought in for me from my students. I do not expect Christmas gifts from my students, but every year there are some families who are so kind to think of me when buying gifts.

I have received some very special gifts over the years -- some have been used up long ago, but some are the keepsake kind that are precious reminders of students I’ve had in the past. I know it is probably not easy for these families to try to buy an appropriate and thoughtful gift for their children’s teachers, but they do it anyway - sometimes even when asked not to!

Some gifts are just harder to find. I know there are people on my list that are hard to buy for. Usually, that’s because they don’t really need anything, and they often buy what they want for themselves, too! Or sometimes it’s just because I don’t know them all that well to know what they need or what they would like.

Imagine what it would have been like for these wise men who came from the East to see the new baby who would be King. What do you bring to give to the Son of God Himself!? We know they brought gold, frankincense, and myrrh. These were very expensive gifts fit for a king, for sure. But they also gave Him something else that I think we often overlook: their worship.

Truthfully, I think their worship was probably the part that pleased God the most. Don’t you? The fact that they traveled such a long distance, following the star that appeared in the sky, to see this new King and to worship Him humbles me.

Often, when I think of worship, I usually think of singing at church with other believers. But worship is so much more than that! Here, we see the wise men bowing before the baby and presenting Him precious, expensive gifts. They brought the best they could bring. I think that’s what I want to remember this week: I want to be giving the best I can bring to God. I want to use my talents, gifts, and resources for Him.

Jesus deserves all my worship. He has done so much for me. He is my perfect, holy, gracious, loving Savior who gave Himself for me. I know that I go to worship services every week, and I try to give my whole self to that time. But what about the rest of the week?
Paul says in Romans 6:13: “Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness.”

This month, as we count down to Christmas Day, I want to give Jesus more of my worship. I want to honor Him with my words, my actions, my attitude, and my songs. I think that is a gift that pleases Him.

Lord Jesus, thank You for all You've done for us and all You continue to do each day.  Help us to know how we can honor You.  We want to worship You and give You our best today and every day. Teach us how!

For Small Groups:Do you have a special memory of a precious gift from a student? What made that gift so special? How can we follow that example in giving to others and in giving to God?

No comments:

Post a Comment