Monday, February 25, 2019

Completely Known

1 You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain. Psalm 139: 1-6


One of my students came in the room today, and I could immediately tell that something was different. Her speech was different. Her body language was different. This was not what I was used to seeing at all. Later, she shared that there was, indeed, a reason for the differences I was seeing. But even before she told me, I knew.

Last week, another student was just not himself. His participation in class was not like usual. His face lacked the usual charming grin. He slumped over onto the table with his head down. And I immediately knew he wasn’t feeling well at all. Later, he did complain that he didn’t feel well, but I already knew. It wasn’t long before he was at the nurse’s office and headed home for the day.

It’s pretty amazing how well we get to know our students. I know their personalities. I know what they enjoy doing and with whom they enjoy doing it! I know about their pets, their families, and their likes/dislikes. I know their strengths, and I know their weaknesses. But even though I know an awful lot about most of my students, I don’t know everything. I can’t possibly know everything.

But God knows me completely--inside and out.  Every last detail that is me, He knows it.

This passage from Psalm 139 is a favorite of mine. It comforts me to know that God knows me completely. He knows my thoughts and motives, my words and my actions, everything about me. And He uses that knowledge for my good.

There is a song on the Christian radio right now that reminds me of this truth every time I hear it played. It’s called “Known,” and it’s by an artist named Tauren Wells. I’m including a link here, so you can listen to the words on YouTube and let them seep in. I hope you’ll take the time to do that.  Click here:    Known by Tauren Wells

God knows me completely, and He loves me completely--all the unique and gloriously fabulous mess that is me! I don’t have to hide from Him. I don’t have to pretend to be something I’m not. He knows I’m a sinner in need of His precious grace and mercy, but He loves me anyway. Thank you, Lord!

And because He knows me, I can trust Him to lead me and guide me, to teach me and direct me in just the way I need.

Lord, thank You for knowing us completely and loving us fully. Help us to understand this truth this week and to rest in it. Help us to submit to Your molding so that You can shape us into all that You mean for us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment