Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Wisdom

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 (NASB)

It would be interesting to me to know just how many decisions a teacher makes throughout one school day. I know it’s a large number. I’m not sure you could even actually count them all.

Some of these decisions are trivial, I know. Should I use the pink pen or the orange one to grade this stack? Should I drink that coffee I need even though my next chance for the bathroom will be lunch? Speaking of lunch, should I order the main entree that sounds tasty today, or should I order the healthier salad bar option?

Many of our decisions, though, are not trivial at all. Do I need to address this student’s behavior, or do I ignore it? How do I handle yet another interruption during the lesson? Is this gut feeling I have that my student is dealing with something big at home something I investigate? How do I help that student who is failing to be successful? Should I check on my co-worker now, even though I know it will probably take longer than my short plan time allows? Do I need to contact this parent today? It just doesn’t end . . . .

I need wisdom to handle all these decisions! I don’t know the best answers to many of the questions that arise during a school day, but God does. It is very reassuring to me that God is ready and willing to give me wisdom if I will only stop and ask for it.

When King Solomon took over the kingdom of Israel after his father, David, died, God came to him in a dream and told him to ask for whatever Solomon wanted God to give him. Solomon asked for wisdom in I Kings 3:7-9:

7 “Now, Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. 8 Your servant is here among the people you have chosen,a great people, too numerous to count or number. 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?”

God was pleased with Solomon’s choice and granted his request. In fact, Solomon is still remembered today for his wisdom.

No, we are not ruling monarchs in charge of a large nation of God’s people, but we are responsible for making many decisions each day that affect those around us. And sometimes, I feel very much like Solomon when he said, “I do not know how to carry out my duties.” I want to please God, and I want to help those around me. But do I take the time to stop and pray for God’s wisdom? Do I stop and ask the Holy Spirit to guide me as I make decisions throughout my day? Do I listen carefully to hear His answers?

Father God, we don’t know everything our day will hold, but You do. We don’t always know how to make the best decisions during our day, but You do. We know You have promised to give us Your wisdom when we ask, so we are asking for it right now, Lord. Give us Your wisdom today that we might distinguish between right and wrong. Help us to listen carefully for Your guidance and to glorify You with each decision we make today and all of our tomorrows.

For small groups:
Share one situation or area in your life today where you need God’s wisdom. Partner up and pray for God to give your partner wisdom in his/her situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment