Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Watch Your Thoughts

5 Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus, 6 who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God as something to be used for His own advantage. 7 Instead He emptied Himself by assuming the form of a slave, taking on the likeness of men. And when He had come as a man in His external form, 8 He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death—even to death on a cross. Philippians 4:5-8

What do you think about all day at school? I know that’s an impossible question, but don’t gloss over it. Mull it over a bit. It’s important. What we think about matters. Our attitude matters.

What goes through your mind when a coworker asks you to do something for him/her? What do you think when a parent contacts you asking for a week’s worth of homework in advance of their family vacation? How do you react when your student wants or needs extra attention? What do you tell yourself when you sit in a meeting during an overly busy week?

If I’m answering those questions honestly, I have to say I am ashamed of my responses.

A teacher in our middle school has a poster with this quote:
“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
watch your words, they become actions;
watch your actions, they become habits;
watch your habits, they become character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
(I think this quote is attributed to FRANK OUTLAW, Late President of the Bi-Lo Stores.)

Although this poster quote is not from the Bible, there is some truth here. James 1:14-15 has a similar idea: our thoughts become our actions. (James says our evil desires become sin and death.) And Paul encourages us to “be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:2).

When Paul writes in Philippians 4:5, “Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus,” he implies something: We have control over our thoughts and our attitudes! We can make it something different, especially if we cooperate with the Holy Spirit working in us. And Paul says we should strive to make our thoughts and attitudes match those of Jesus. We should strive to have the attitude of a humble, obedient servant, always putting aside our own will in order to take up God’s will.

I don’t know about you, but that is not my natural tendency! The world teaches us that we have to put ourselves above others to get ahead, that we deserve to be treated well and rewarded when we do something for others, that our own interests come first. But is that the attitude of Christ?

Jesus gave up his position in heaven to become a humble man, to live and work here on earth, to obediently submit to the Father’s will - even to die a humiliating and painful death on a cross.

What am I giving up to minister to those around me? Is my attitude prideful and self-serving? Or is it an attitude of humility?

Lord Jesus, I want to have an attitude that mirrors Yours. I want to humbly put others’ needs before my own, but it isn’t easy for me. Holy Spirit, help me to notice when my attitude needs to change, and give me the desire and the knowledge I need to change it.

For small groups:
Share an area where you are struggling to have the attitude of Christ and ask others to help you find a Bible verse that speaks to that area. Write out that verse and place it where you will see it often. Pray for each other as you share.

No comments:

Post a Comment