Monday, October 22, 2018

What to Wear?

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Colossians 3:12-14
Image result for images selecting clothes
picture from https://www.womenfitness.net/wardrobe/
Parent Teacher Conferences are this week. I know those of you who are teachers have already spent many hours preparing for these meetings with parents. There is a lot of work involved in just getting papers organized but also thinking through topics that need to be discussed and how to approach parents with more difficult topics to cover.

But today I am convicted about another preparation that I know will take a good chunk of my time this week. I’m going to admit it. I will spend a ridiculous amount of time standing in front of my closet trying to decide what to wear. Anyone else? Just me?

I will struggle more so this week than usual, probably, which is saying something because I often struggle with this decision. Some days it takes forever to choose something that is appropriate for the changing weather. Some days I search for something comfortable--I admit there are days I try to choose an outfit that will look good with a particular pair of more comfortable shoes! Some days I long for something new or at least a different combination. Some days I just don’t even know what I’m looking for!

When I read this passage from Colossians, though, I am convicted about how much time I waste on choosing my physical wardrobe for the day when I should be spending that time putting on the best clothes for my heart and mind. Especially as I prepare for a busy week full of precious time meeting with parents!

Paul says our spiritual outfit should include compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness, and love. I should be wearing this particular outfit every single day! How I treat others will be directly related to the attitude I have cultivated in my heart and mind, and I need to make a conscious effort to get my heart dressed up for my day.

I need to allow the Holy Spirit to work in me to see others’ needs and to get my own self-importance taken down a few notches until it’s in the right perspective. Then I can be compassionate to others throughout my day.

I need to remember how others have shown me kindness and gentleness and how that felt so that I can look for ways to do the same for someone else.

I need to wrap myself up in the memories of all the amazing things God has done for me so that I can be patient and forgiving and merciful to others like He has been to me.

And I need to put God’s love on top over everything else because if I go through my day with that powerful, amazing love in my heart, then I will treat others in ways to help them experience God’s love also.

So, I challenge you this week to spend more time carefully selecting the clothes you wear on your heart and mind, and think of these virtues Paul lists even as you stand in front of your closet and choose your physical clothes each day. I guarantee you will look beautiful to everyone you meet!

Heavenly Father, help us to take the time each day to work on our attitudes and perspectives so that we can wear these virtues and honor You. Help us to see others as You see them - precious and dearly loved. Guide us as we try to be more like You, and forgive us for all the times we have failed.

For Small Groups:
Which of the virtues that Paul lists is hardest for you? Which ones do you see in those in your group?


No comments:

Post a Comment