Monday, October 7, 2019

Give It to Me



Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

A coworker told me a story about something that happened in her classroom a few weeks ago, and I just can’t stop thinking about it. I’m not sure I’m going to remember all the details of the story. I’ll probably not get it exactly right, but I want to share what I remember anyway.

She said that she has a particular student who sometimes comes to school with a difficult disposition. Sometimes, things at home are just not great, and it affects him as he comes into her room. One day he came in like this and was having problems with the other students.

When she called him over to her, he exclaimed, “I don’t want to be in trouble!” Even though that wasn’t what was happening. She told him he wasn’t in trouble and asked him, “What’s wrong?” He said, “I’ve just been having a bad morning!” At this point, she held her arms open wide and said, “Come here. Squeeze me hard. Give me all the bad.” So he hugged her tightly. She asked, “Was that all the bad? Did you give it all to me?” When he said yes, she let him go, and his day turned around.

This just really struck me. Sometimes our students carry around so much bad that it affects everything they do and say. Wouldn’t it be amazing if they had someone who was willing to take all the bad? Someone who would hug them tightly and help them make it through the day? What if we were that someone for them?

What if we looked at behavior from others and instead of reacting with our own frustration, we took the time to find out the true source of that behavior? How much of a difference could we make in someone’s day by asking the right question or just giving a hug?

I can’t literally take away all the bad in someone else’s life, but I can be a positive presence. I can be a safe place or a listening ear. Paul encouraged the Galatians to do this for one another. Galatians 6:2 says, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

How can we carry someone’s burdens today? Could I lighten the load for someone who is feeling swamped at work? Could I make a meal or send a note of encouragement? Could I ask how I can pray for them -- and then do it right there?

Jesus said in Matthew 11:
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Jesus wants us to come to him with our burdens. He wants to give us rest from the worry and weariness that come with life.  If I'm doing that each day, then I'm in a place where I can take on the bad of others around me and bring it to Him, too. 


Jesus, help me to look at those around me with your eyes.  Help me to understand that some are carrying around an awfully heavy burden that makes them weary and affects how they act.  Help me to know how to bear those burdens with them.  Thank you for taking our burdens and for giving us Your peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment