Monday, October 21, 2019

True Colors Revealed


A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. Luke 6:45

The leaves have turned here in Mid-Missouri this week! They are so beautiful! I’ve always found it fascinating that the colors we see in the fall leaves are actually present in the leaves all spring and summer. It’s only in the fall when the temperatures begin to drop and the trees stop making food that the green chlorophyll is allowed to break down and be absorbed. Then, we see the beautiful colors that have been hidden by that chlorophyll all along.

Not all leaves have vibrant fall colors, though. Sometimes when the chlorophyll is gone, all that’s left is a very drab, lifeless, brown leaf.

I saw a teacher walking in from recess this week holding a gorgeous, bright red leaf. I didn’t stop to ask her about it, but I’ve been out at recess enough to guess that a student probably picked it up and gave it to her.

I wonder if two weeks ago, when a student ran across a green leaf on the playground, do you think he would have noticed it? Would a green leaf have been handed to the teacher? Probably not.

And I’m also pretty confident that the red leaf the teacher received was not the only leaf on the playground. There are more than a few dull, brown ones out there, too. But the leaves that are deep red, orange, or yellow catch our eye. We treasure them because of their beauty.

In Luke 6, Jesus says that what comes out of my mouth is exactly what I have stored in my heart. Sometimes I can cover up a bad attitude with a smile on my face, but once I start to talk, that bad attitude is going to show up. Just like a fall leaf whose chlorophyll has faded away, my true thoughts and feelings will come out in the words I speak.

Am I frustrated with a situation? That’s going to show in my words.

Am I excited about an opportunity? That’s going to show in my words.

Am I resentful of someone else’s gain? Guess where that’s going to show?

Am I feeling overwhelmed, joyful, guilty, proud, ashamed, thankful, sad? What I say will flow out of whatever feelings are in my heart. Some of those are beautiful, vibrant emotions that draw people to me just like the brightly colored fall leaves. But some of those are unattractive, life-draining emotions that push people away.

For our school, this week is parent-teacher conference week. That means I will be doing even more talking than usual! I always want my speech to be “full of grace,” as Paul says in Colossians 4, but I am more mindful this week of choosing my words wisely so I can communicate clearly. And I want my words to be encouraging and positive and beautiful--as much as possible.

So I am realizing that I need to check my heart condition this week. Unlike the fall leaves, I can choose which emotions I allow myself to store up and which ones I decide to give up. I can take those negative thoughts and feelings and pour them out to Jesus, confessing them and letting Him control the clean-up process. 

And I can fill my heart with scripture and encouraging truth that will change my outlook and bless others, too. When I open my mouth and my true colors are revealed, I want to be like a beautiful, fall leaf that brings God’s joy and peace to others.

Father, help me to see the evil that is in my heart as You see it. Take away my sinful thoughts and attitudes and transform them as only You can do. Help me to have a heart full of Your love, grace, joy, peace, and compassion so that my words will flow from there and uplift all those who hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment