Monday, November 18, 2019

Wiped Clean


8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:8-9

Some of the things I am thankful for are small things. Some would call them trivial. I know how many blessings God has poured out on me! But when some of those “little things” are not working or available, I quickly realize how thankful I am for them.

Ever gone a few days without a dishwasher, washing machine, or other appliance? I am thankful for those! Clean clothes, hot food, hot water -- not absolutely necessary in life, but I am thankful for them all the more! If you’ve ever traveled much outside of the U.S., you probably appreciate your toilet paper and working plumbing a bit more.

There is no doubt that we live with so many conveniences and luxuries which are absent in many parts of the world.

As cold and flu season sets in at school, I found myself thankful for another little thing: disinfecting wipes. I’ve been battling a head cold this week, so I have wiped down the tables, desks, and computer keyboards/mice more than once over the last few days. I am so glad to have this easy way to kill germs in my classroom and to keep myself and my students healthier.

Last week, I had already wiped down my classroom table earlier in the day, but after having a student with some particularly hardy coughing spells, I decided to go ahead and wipe it down again at lunchtime. I wasn’t expecting to get a lot of dirt off, since I had just wiped the table a few hours prior. But I was very surprised at how black the wipe was when I finished.

We use dry erase boards and markers in my room for spelling practice many times each day, and they leave a lot of black gunk behind. But I didn’t notice that it was looking dirty. It wasn’t until I ran the white wipe over its surface that I saw just how much grime was on it. Anytime I have students help wipe down our tables and desks, I inevitably hear, “Yuck!” or “That’s gross!” when they see all the dirt they wipe off.

And that, my friends, makes me think about something else I am thankful for -- a much bigger thing this time -- the complete forgiveness of sin by a graceful, merciful God.

I have sin that is much like the dirt on my classroom table. It may not be the first thing you notice when you look, but it is definitely there. We all have sin. It is ugly and offensive. It is repulsive to our holy God. It stains us and separates us from our loving, heavenly Father.

But John writes that God is “faithful and just and will forgive us our sin and purify us from all unrighteousness.” Because of our faith in Jesus and His sacrifice for us, we receive forgiveness that washes us white as snow. (Isaiah 1:18) It is difficult to completely comprehend how God can do that over and over again for us, but I believe He does. And that is something I will forever be thankful for!

Heavenly Father, we have so, so much to be thankful for - big and small. Words just cannot express the gratitude I feel for the way You forgive me for my sin. Thank you for purifying me, for constantly working in my life to remove the sin and make me more like Jesus. Help me to see my sin as You do and to always cooperate with Your Holy Spirit to avoid sin and keep it out of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. You really do need to write a book, a devotional! So good.

    ReplyDelete