Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Pressing On!


12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14

We have made it to the end of third quarter in my school building. That means that we are definitely on the downhill slide to the end of the school year, but it also means that many of us are feeling tired. Tired of fighting the same battles with our students day after day. Tired of the same behaviors from our students. Tired of the same attitudes, the same arguments, the same exhausting cycles, the same difficulties and learning challenges.

How many times can I say the exact same thing?! How many days do I have to have the same conversation!? How many ways can I teach this particular skill?

Honest truth here: some days it is so very tempting to just give up--to quit fighting that fight, to stop attempting to create change, to move on to a new skill even though the old one still isn’t mastered.

I have one particular group that has been a bit discouraging to me this year. I am teaching them some very foundational reading skills, and we are at the point where we have finished one step and assessed their learning. And they didn’t meet the minimum requirements necessary to go on to the next step.

It’s discouraging. I want to push on and keep teaching them new things, but they haven’t really mastered the “old” things yet. I know it’s not really best for them to move on, but I would really like to move on.

In my position, I sometimes have the unique opportunity to work with the same students for multiple years. I have a student with whom I have been working for almost four school years now. When we started our work, this student was really struggling to read even the most basic materials. When I started with this student, another school employee asked me if I really thought this student would learn to read. This employee made the comment that this student may be one who just never really learns to read.

But I disagreed. I said, with conviction, that I did not believe that was true. I believed this student could and would learn to read, but I admitted even then that I knew it was not going to be easy, and it was not going to be quick.

And it wasn’t. We have worked really hard for the last three and three-quarters school years and even over the summers. And we are not done even now. But today I saw some test results that showed big gains in this student’s reading level! I was so excited!

And I needed that reminder today. I needed to remember that sometimes the results are long in the making, that some goals take a long time to reach and cannot be rushed, and that you absolutely cannot reach a goal if you give up along the way.

I have no doubt that everyone reading this post has some sort of situation that has us exhausted and discouraged and doubting whether it will ever change. Maybe you are a teacher and you are worn out with a particular student situation. Maybe you are a mom struggling to keep on with a challenge from your own children. Maybe it’s a work situation - something with a boss or a co-worker. Maybe it’s a family situation - a sibling or a parent. Maybe it’s a spouse that has you worn slick. Maybe it’s something else altogether.

Whatever it is, don’t give up! Press on! Keep seeking God’s wisdom to know how to deal with the situation. Keep asking for resolution in prayer. Keep doing your best to do the things you know you need to be doing. Don’t give up. God is still working - in you and through you. Press on towards the goal! God is with you!

Father God, thank You for Your presence in the midst of the challenges of life. Show us more of You this week. Be with each one reading this right now and grant them wisdom in their difficult situations. Give them a glimpse of the impact they are making to encourage them this week. Grant us the strength to persevere when we feel like giving up. Help us, like Paul, to press on to take hold of that for which You took hold of us. Thank You for Your faithfulness and Your never-failing love!

No comments:

Post a Comment